Friday, August 24, 2007
I finished up on this little painting yesterday. It is for one of my online Ebay groups, ALA, animal loving artists. This painting is on Ebay for five days.
This is a painting of a Gypsy cob (vanner) mare resting under a tree after a long day of traveling. They Gypsy cob horses pull the Gypsies caravans. They were originally bred by the Gypsies to be kind, gentle, strong and willing to pull the heavy caravans. They loved the beauty of the spotted horses and spent generations breeding some of the best. Today they are being bred and raised by many on farms the world over.
I finished up on these two custom jumpers last week and shipped them off before I got final photos of them but they are pretty near finished here.
These resin sculptures have custom mane and tails done by Deb Buckler of Resins by Randy fine resin casting. They are airbrushed by myself for Sherre Tuley of Colorado.
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Finally finished. This was a difficult one for me because of the background but it is finished even though I had to use some gouache on it. I think I like it OK. Will frame it and take it to the gallery and see what other folks think.
I think I am going to call it "Rainbows and Sugarplum fairies".
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
I was able to work a little more on this today. I ended up making the foreground way too dark and had to do something or throw the painting away. I chose instead to use some acrylic gouache on it to lighten it up and add to the sort of fantasy feel of the painting. Not sure I am completely happy with it.
I am thinking maybe I will crop this one and make it rectangular instead.
I still need to finish the tail and then I think I will call it finished.
Sunday, August 19, 2007
I have been very busy this week working on sculptures so I didn't get a lot of time to work on this watercolor but I did make a little progress. I have been thinking about how I will be finishing the foreground and background and have a few ideas but nothing for sure yet. I want to keep that rather dreamy feeling but need to ground the horse and add some darks to the background.
I am still working on the hind legs and tail. I hope I can finish up on this one this week.
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Started this one yesterday. I am going to watch a demo on poured paintings today and got thinking that this horse would look great with that kind of background. Now you would assume that I would wait until after the demo to start on this so I would know what I was doing, but no..............I had to start it before. Not a patient person.
So, here are my beginnings on this Andalusian doing dressage movements.
Monday, August 13, 2007
Our local home town newspaper ran a contest a few weeks back for pet photos. I donated a watercolor painting of the winning pet.
This is Hank! He is an Australian Shepherd puppy and isn't he cute? He was fun to paint and a bit of a challenge because his coat color is very light.
This is the photo I worked from.
Thursday, August 9, 2007
Arctic animals was the theme for one of my online art groups so I did polar bears.
I am trying to paint endangered animals as often as possible and do have a page on my watercolor site devoted to them so this was a perfect choice.
With global warming effecting the polar bear habitat, there is a real fear that these beautiful animals will one day be extinct. I sincerely hope that some real strides can be made to correct this situation. If we all get behind alternate energy sources perhaps we can slow down or stop completely this major worldwide problem.
Friday, August 3, 2007
This is my latest watercolor and it will be entered in the Western Washington Fair art show. I hadn't intended it for that but since fair entries are coming up I thought it would be prefect.
I belong to a group of artists that swap paintings with each other every three months. We have members from all over the world and when it is swap time it is very exciting because the name draw is secret so no one knows who has their name to send a painting to. Lots of fun! The paintings are all about 5 X 7 in size.
This painting took a great deal of effort on my part. The most difficult part was the background because in one of my black mixes I used an irridescent burnt umber which completely took over the painting and it had shine like a star! That wasn't what I wanted so after much scrubbing and glazing I finally got it mostly gone.
This is a painting of Dongola horses at Festival in Camaroon, Africa.
Photo credit goes to Anthony Asael.